Thursday, November 29, 2012

Masked identity

















I feel like I accidently did this project in reverse. We were supposed to or I understood it to be, that we had to create a mask that involved our identity and present it in such a way that further emphasized that point. We were to figure it out, make a visual representation and then present in whatever way we wanted. Looking at the pictures and my final product, I think that I didn't know what I was creating when I first started out. I was merely doing my homework. Looking at it now, I see what may have been several unconscious decisions.
How does this represent my identity? Well, during the creation of the mask itself, I was thinking of a scene from Beetlejuice where the ghost couple was getting desperate to get these people to move out of their house, thus the ghosts manipulate their own bodies into grotesque forms with hopes of actually scaring the people out, and in this process they end up scaring this girl they befriended, regretting their decision to attempt to make themselves scary and thus turn to other methods. That was where the inspiration for the shape of the mask had come from. At first I thought it was only that, inspiration. However, I can relate to that. The feeling that in order to get things you want you feel the need to become a different a person and when you hurt the ones you love it really draws things into perspective. I have been there and although such experiences don't define me as a person I think they play a major part, just like in my final photos; the mask is a large part of it but there are several other elements at work as well.
In pertinence to the pictures, going from the top down;
     Wandering
     Lost
     Searching
     Still Searching
     Taking what life hands me
     Finding myself in places and not knowing which way to go
     Confined
     Content with being confined
     The next two are being alone
     The last two are judged
   

No comments:

Post a Comment