Thursday, October 4, 2012

Expressive 3-D forms

#1  Stoic


Strong vertical lines, minimal decoration, simple yet sturdy set up; my thought when creating stoicism was something that stood tall, strong, and proud. I feel I accomplished these through the height of my piece, the minimal elements, and procedure in which I got it to stand.
 #2  Angry



When I think of anger, I think of the hidden deep-set kind that is disguised and masked to convey otherwise. Thus, for my piece I created two individual components  one a wood frame with tape on both open ends, and the other, a triangular bit of balsa that has bits attached and gouged out of it. The concept is that through the window, one cannot clearly see the distorted figure of that underneath. 
 #3   Dangerous

I wanted to create a dangerous situation to convey this word. However I could not think of anyway to make the audience feel directly in danger; thus, I chose to create a small innocent shape that the audience could possible relate with and sympathize for and place it in a dangerous situation. The situation I chose is one the involves a rickety structure, a large pointy object, and unfortunate placement for my little wood piece.

#4  Calm
unfortunately the image is currently unavailable
(meaning that I lost track of this piece and was unable to capture it)
However it will be up as soon as I am able.
In the meantime, enjoy this illustration of the piece.

When I think calm, I envision nice soft edges and no rough or sharp corners. Thus, my final piece, to me, resembles what we used to call "worry stones". "Worry stones" are essentially flat, rounded, rocks with an indent in the middle so you can hold it in your hand and rub the indent with your thumb; the purpose being that the repetitive motion would ease your worries. Unintentionally I created a similar shape for my final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment