Thursday, October 4, 2012

Poetic Metamorphosis

All paper. No tape or glue.

 Complete bug, bed (headboard, box spring, mattress, blanket, pillow), and chest.
 Bug top
 Bug bottom
 Decent shot of mattress
And finally the chest.

When I had read "The Metamorphosis" the vibe I had gotten from the story was that it was creepy, dark, and just wrong. Thus, I had wanted to convey this in my pieces. 

I did this by choosing a bunch of textures and dark colors.
A technique I used quite a bit was that of twisted bits of paper. I liked it because it was not crisp and clean-cut like a lot of other sturdier and simpler forms. It made certain aspects of my pieces look twisted and unstable and damaged; which is what I had wanted.

Another thing I used a lot of was paper weaving. I did it with twisted paper and without it. What it did for me was, once again, divert from the crisp and clean effect that folded paper is so prone to producing. It is also one of the main sources for the all of the texture.

As for color, I had wanted to really push the feeling of "wrong-ness" that the story had given me. So I used darker, dingy colors (browns, greens and grays). On the bed frame I did include bits of bright green and purple and orange because I thought that they would contrast with the dingy-ness of the colors around them and make them feel out of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment